|The Cato Manor reconstruction in Durban, South Africa, started in 1992. Ten years later, it has been named an international best practice, and a major documentation process revealed many insights and lessons. Arising from this work, eight themes have been identified that apprea to have universal relevance for cities in developing countries.|
- contested landscapes
- urban reconstruction
- turning problems into solutions
- multi-disciplinary approach tp problem solving with a view to achieving integrated development outcomes
- managing complex, large scale, urban development projects
- area based urban development agencies and management
- establishing the pre-conditions for delivery at scale
Cutting across all these themes os that of solving problems in the face of adversity and maintaining progress in a continually shiftinh political and institutional environment.
The paper will discuss key questions and debates within each theme.